vapour rub is invaluable for soothing coughing and congestion that can interfere with everyone's sleep.
Natural Vapor Rub Recipe
A soothing and petroleum-free version of the classic cough and cold soother
Vapor Rub Ingredients
– 1/2 cup olive oil, coconut oil, or almond oil
– 2 TBSP beeswax pastilles (level, not heaping)
– 20 drops of eucalyptus oil (use only 4 drops for use on babies and young children)
20 drops peppermint oil
10 drops rosemary oil
10 drops cinnamon or clove oil (optional)
Vapor Rub Instructions
1. Melt beeswax with oil of choice in a double boiler until just melted.
2. Add the essential oils (use half the amount for a baby version or dilute with coconut oil before using)
-Stir well and store in a lidded container. Tins and jars work well. I keep a few in empty lip chap sticks in my purse or on baby feet.
-Use as needed to help reduce coughing and congestion.
Many essential oils, including these, are not considered safe for babies or small children. Make sure to dilute for babies and children and use as little as is needed.
You can also make this recipe with herbs instead of essential oils by infusing the oil with 1 tablespoon of each of the herbs in a double boiler over medium heat for 2 hours.