If you receive Social Security, moving may affect your payments. Social Security, SSI, and Medicare recipients must report address changes.

The Social Security Administration requires you to tell the agency when you move, so that your deposits continue and you avoid disruptions

“It’s good to make sure you get your SSA-1099, which is your tax form you need each year from your Social Security benefits,” says Jeremy Keil, a retirement focused financial planner with Keil Financial Partners in New Berlin, Wisconsin.

If you get retirement, survivors or disability benefits, or have Medicare, you can make the address switch online through your my Social Security account.

To complete the change online, you’ll want to: – Log in to your account. – Click on the “My Profile” link, located on the right side of the screen. – Choose “Update Contact Information.”

– Enter your new address. – Select if the change should be made immediately or at a later date. – Review the information you’ve entered. – Click on “Submit.”

If you are unable to change your address online or would prefer to carry out the process over the phone, you can call the Social Security office at 1-800-772-1213 Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. If you call at a different time, you’ll be connected to an automated system.

You can look online to find the nearest location and call ahead to make an appointment. You could also visit the office without an appointment, but the waiting time might be longer.