You know I love oral health. How to prevent tooth decay and cavities is a recurring topic on my podcast with dentists.

Dental amalgam is a tooth-filling material made with about 50% mercury (the other 50% is a tin, copper, and silver alloy).

Amalgam fillings are very common but are, unfortunately, also very toxic. Here’s what you need to know about them.

Amalgam fillings contain mercury, an incredibly toxic substance to the human body. Mercury is a known neurotoxin and also a reproductive toxin.

Mercury is released into the body when: – the dentist places or removes the amalgam in the tooth – you chew food or gum – you brush your teeth – you grind your teeth

Tooth Damage The material in the filling expands and contracts due to temperature changes, which can cause cracking and breaking in the tooth.

Mercury pollution is also a problem. Dental mercury enters the environment by: – Air – cremation smoke, sewage sludge, waste incineration, and dentist clinic emissions – Water – human waste disposal and dental clinics – Land – landfills, burials, and fertilizers

The amount of mercury in the body isn’t a direct representation of whether mercury is being harmful.