On September 27, 2023, thieves broke into a Dollar General store in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and stole an ATM using a chain and a U-Haul vehicle. The event happened at the business at 6900 Frankford Avenue around 3:30 in the morning.
Thieves Use U-Haul to Steal ATM from Philadelphia Business: Police Seek Informatio
The ATM was chained, and the suspects used the U-Haul truck to remove it from the establishment, according to the police. After then, the suspects drove off in the U-Haul truck carrying the ATM.
The amount of money in the ATM, according to the police, was unclear. There were no alleged injuries in the incident.
Anyone with knowledge is urged to call police as they look into the event.
Tips for Safety to Prevent ATM Theft
- Use an ATM with caution and awareness of your surroundings.
- Don’t use ATMs late at night or in remote locations.
- If at all feasible, use an ATM that is situated in a busy, well-lit area.
- When entering your PIN number, take careful not to hide it.
- Report anything odd you notice right away to the police.
- When not in use, keep your card in a secure location.
- Never divulge your PIN to anyone.
- Regularly check your bank statement for any unauthorised charges.
Lessons from Recent Philadelphia Incident
The Philadelphia ATM burglary serves as a reminder that thieves are constantly looking for new ways to take money. There are a few things you can do to safeguard yourself against theft, though:
- Get ready. Take a moment to scan the area before using a card to see if there are any suspicious objects. Go to another ATM if you notice anything that gives you the creeps.
- Observe your surroundings carefully. Keep an eye out for what’s going on around you when using a card. You should be prepared to leave if you sense someone coming your way.
- Protect the PIN number. Use your hand to block the view of your PIN number as you type it in. This will make it more difficult for someone to take your money after discovering your PIN number.
- Signal any suspicious behaviour. Inform the police if you observe anything odd at an ATM. This might help shield others from becoming theft victims in the future.
You can help to safeguard yourself from theft by keeping in mind these suggestions.