Following a mobile home fire in Kings County, California, on Wednesday morning, September 16, 2023, a woman was hospitalised and other people were relocated.
A mobile home park along Lacey Boulevard and 9th Avenue caught fire around 1:45 a.m. The caravan was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
Mobile Home Fire Destroys Residence, Damages Nearby Businesses, and Hospitalizes Woman in Kings County
The fire was put out by firefighters, but the caravan was completely destroyed. In addition, a nearby tyre business and mobile home were damaged.
Inside the mobile home, a woman and her pet were able to flee. She had very slight smoke inhalation when she was brought to the hospital.
The fire caused four adults and two kids to flee their homes. Assistance is being given to the displaced residents by the Red Cross. The fire’s origin is being looked into. Fires in mobile homes are a major issue.
Compared to other housing types, mobile homes have a higher risk of catching fire. They can also burn faster. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that 10% of all residential fires are caused by blazes in mobile homes. However, they account for 20% of all fatalities in home fires.
Understanding the Elevated Fire Risk in Mobile Homes and Fire Prevention Tips
A variety of variables contribute to the heightened danger of fire in mobile homes, including:
- Materials used in construction: Mobile houses are often composed of lightweight materials. Such as plywood and aluminium, which are more combustible than traditional building materials.
- Electrical wiring: Because mobile homes are frequently older, their electrical wiring may be out of code.
- Appliances: Older appliances are common in mobile homes. Which are more likely to fail and catch fire?
Fires in mobile homes are frequently caused by space heaters.
There are several things you may do to keep a fire from starting in your mobile home, including:
- A trained electrician should inspect your electrical wiring.
- Check that your appliances are in good operating order and are correctly mounted.
- Never leave a space heater on unattended.
- Install carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in your mobile home.
- Make a fire escape plan and practise it on a regular basis.
It is critical to be aware of the heightened risk of fire if you reside in a mobile home. As well as taking precautions to avoid a fire.