The inbound mainlanes of the I-45 North Motorway reopened Friday morning near North Main after a man was killed by a car that hit him, according to Houston police.
It happened inbound about 3:10 a.m. on the 2400 North Motorway near Patton Street. According to Houston police, it is located just north of downtown.
Pedestrian Fatally Struck by Vehicle on Houston Highway near North Main: Investigation Underway
According to HPD, the man, who is believed to be in his twenties, was walking along the motorway when he stepped out into oncoming traffic. That’s when a blue Volkswagen Jetta travelling southbound allegedly hit him.
According to authorities, the driver who hit him remained at the site and exhibited no signs of intoxication. He was interrogated and then freed.
At the scene, the pedestrian was pronounced deceased. The feeder and all southbound mainlanes. We were closed for several hours before reopening. The inquiry into the fatal accident is still ongoing.
The crash is being investigated by the Houston Police Department. Anyone with information on the accident should call the Houston Police Department’s Hit and Run Unit at (713) 247-4065.
This serves as a warning to stay alert when crossing the street, especially at night. Wearing light-colored clothing or reflective gear is also recommended. When crossing the street at night, be visible to drivers.
Please be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to stop for pedestrians if you are driving. When driving at night, it is equally vital to slow down and be cautious.
Pedestrian and Driver Safety Tips to Prevent Accidents and Tragedies
Here are some more pedestrian and driver safety tips:
- When possible, use crosswalks.
- Before crossing the street, make eye contact with the drivers.
- Keep an eye out for traffic and be mindful of your surroundings.
- Crossing the street while distracted, such as chatting on the phone or texting, is not permitted.
- Drivers should obey the speed limit and slow down in crosswalks.
- Expect to stop for pedestrians.
- When driving at night, exercise extreme caution.
- Driving while distracted, such as chatting on the phone or texting, is not permitted.
We can assist to prevent pedestrian accidents and tragedies like this one by following these safety measures.