From June to November, the American Red Cross prepares for catastrophe season. The organisation is working to get the necessary resources. It must assist those afflicted by natural catastrophes such as hurricanes, floods, and wildfires.
American Red Cross: Preparing Volunteers and Communities for Disaster Season
The American Red Cross is preparing volunteers and supplying shelters. As well as stockpiling goods in disaster-prone areas. The organisation is also aiming to raise disaster preparedness awareness. And how individuals may assist themselves and their families before to, during, and after a crisis.
“We know that disasters can happen anywhere, at any time,” Gail McGovern explained. The president and CEO of the American Red Cross. “That’s why we’re working so hard to be ready to help people when they need us the most.”
It is asking individuals to take precautionary measures such as:
- Making a disaster plan for the family
- Putting together an emergency kit
- The ability to converse with family and friends
- Being aware of your disaster risk
Be Prepared for Disaster Season Training, Tips, and Resources
It is also provides free disaster preparedness training in person and online. Visit redcross.org/prepare to learn more about disaster preparedness or to find a Red Cross course near you.
Here are some more ideas for planning for disaster season:
- Make sure you have a way to receive weather alerts and warnings.
- Make a strategy for getting to a safe location if you need to evacuate.
- Keep food, drink, and other necessities on hand.
- In case of an emergency, have a way to contact your family and friends.
- Prepare to assist your neighbours.
By taking these precautions, you may help safeguard the safety of you and your family during disaster season.
It is also seeking donations to aid in catastrophe preparation and response. Donations can be made online at redcross.org or over the phone at 1-800-RED-CROSS.