Gerhard Rodax, a former Atletico Madrid striker from Austria, died at age 57. Please continue reading to find out how Gerhard Rodax died, what happened to him, and what caused his death.
Gerhard Rodax, Who was He?
Gerhard Rodax was a professional footballer from Austria. Rotax, born on 29 August 1965, was a striker for the Austrian national team Admira Wacker and Atletico Madrid. He began his professional career at Admira Wacker and worked there for seven years. Rodax became the Austrian Football Bundesliga’s leading scorer in 1990. This enabled him to sign a deal with the Spanish club Atletico Madrid. However, he only played for Rapid Wien for one season before returning to Austria. Rodax withdrew from professional football at the age of 28 in 1993. He returned two years later before saying his final farewell in 1996. He appeared in 20 international games and scored three goals.
Gerhard Rodax Died in What Manner?
Gerhard Rodax died on 17 November 2022 at the age of 57. He died after being struck by a train near Traiskirchen, 20 kilometres south of Vienna. Rodax was said to have suffered a severe sickness before the sad catastrophe. His representatives used social media to spread the tragic news of his passing. The Austrian Football Association then confirmed the word with an emotional tribute. “The Austrian passed away at the age of 57.” “The OFB will always remember him with gratitude.”
La familia rojiblanca está de luto por el fallecimiento de Gerhard Rodax. El jugador austriaco militó en nuestro equipo en la temporada 1990-91 y consiguió una Copa del Rey. Siempre estarás en nuestros corazones. pic.twitter.com/EnDtNN5xv1
— Atlético de Madrid (@Atleti) November 17, 2022
Gerhard Rodax Died: What Caused His Death?
Gerhard Rodax died as a result of an unexpected severe illness. As a result, he reportedly committed suicide by hurling himself in front of a speeding train on Thursday. According to sources, Rodax’s mental health was not in good shape. He no longer desired to live. The former Atletico Madrid striker died tragically at the age of 57. Two daughters and his wife survive him.
Successful Career of Gerhard Rodax:
- During the 1995-96 season, he temporarily returned to Admira.
- Rodax made his international debut for Austria in 1985. He played in the FIFA World Cup in 1990, scoring in a 2-1 victory over the United States in Florence.
- He won 20 international matches and scored three goals. His final international appearance came against Sweden in May 1991.
- Rodax appeared in 246 Bundesliga games for Admira and Rapid, was awarded Austria’s best scorer in 1989, was a legionnaire at Atletico Madrid, and appeared in 246 games for both clubs.
- Rodax had previously played for Admira, where he was able to turn pro in the 1982-1983 season. He enjoyed a fantastic season with the Lower Austrians in 1989-1990.