Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Man Shots His Mother, Turns To Kill Himself After Five-Hour SWAT Standoff in West Cobb

Authorities discovered the dead body of a woman and her son inside their home following a five-hour SWAT standoff in West Cobb. Officials suspect the two died as a result of a murder-suicide, according to Sgt. Wayne Delk of the Cobb County Police Department.

According to investigators, around 8 p.m. on Tuesday, officers were dispatched to a home in the 5900 block of Brinkley Road in response to a domestic situation. While on their way to the scene, officers discovered that one of the involved family members had fired rounds.

Jeffrey Lawrence Bishop, 50, was involved in a verbal altercation with three members of his family that escalated into a violent confrontation, investigators stated. Eventually, he grabbed his arm off the table and began shooting, according to authorities on Thursday. According to sources, Lillian Bishop, who was identified as Jeffrey Bishop’s mother, was shot and died.

SWAT Team Standoff Against Jeffrey Lawrence Bishop (Photo: The AJC)

Read Also: Joe Biden’s First U.N Address Remarks Cold War Against China, Other Countries¬†

Authorities’ statement said Jeffrey Bishop holed himself inside his home and refused to come out. Due to confusion over whether his mother had escaped or was being kept hostage, resulting in an hours-long standoff with the suspect’s family. Two family members, Michael and Andy Bishop managed to escape the residence when Jeffrey Bishop opened fire on them. They sought shelter in the neighborhood and phoned 911 from there. After officials could not confirm whether a fourth family member, Lillian Bishop, had made it out of the house, SWAT officers and the Cobb County Crisis Negotiation Team members were dispatched to the location.

When Jeffrey eventually stopped responding to the cop’s call, negotiators tried for a long time to persuade Jeffrey to surrender peacefully, but they were unsuccessful, police said in a statement.

According to Delk, when SWAT troops arrived at the house, they found that Lillian had been shot much earlier and was already deceased. Her son was discovered in another section of the house with what seemed to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Officials have not disclosed anything about Jeffrey and Lillian Bishop’s relationship other than saying they were family members. And, the incident is still under investigation.

Related Article: Sleepover Murder: 31-Year-Old Man Brutally Kills His Girlfriend’s Family, Including the Mother